Note: This actually happened Thur, Jan 8, but it didn't get published at that time.
I just went to buy girl shoes by myself for the first time. Until today I have only bought shoes online. I've been wanting to go shoe shopping for sometime, but I was pretty scared, especially considering (since I've only ever been out of the house in girl-mode once for a Halloween party) I'd be doing it in boy-mode.
But today I went for it, and it was super easy! I went to my local Payless at 4:45. It turns out the larger sizes are on the far aisle, across from the men's shoes. I was greeted when I walked in, "Can I help you find anything?" I asked for some of those cheap foot hose, she gave me a pair and then left me alone. No scorn, no weird looks or comments. I looked over the size 11 offerings, there were some cute shoes. My goal was a pair of flats. I tried on a few, it turns out that depending on the shoe, either 11w or 12 seem to fit me, which is odd because my boy size is also 11.
I won't lie, I was nervous, but I forced my self not to rush and to try on all the pairs I was interested in. I found four that I liked: A casual flat (size 11w), a dressier flat (size 12), a bootie pump (size 11w), and an open toe pump (size 11). While trying them on I no one came down my aisle except the the sales girl. She asked if I was OK, and didn't make any kind of fuss when she saw me trying on girl shoes. They all looked cute, they were all on sale, they were all black. And they were all more comfortable than any of the shoes I currently own. I decided that since I'm probably going to start buying more shoes I shouldn't just buy everything I like, so I put back the open toed pump and headed to the register.
While at the register someone came in the store and got in line behind me. That made me nervous all over again, but I just stood at the register and acted like this was no big deal. The sales girl was super friendly, helped me get signed up for their rewards program and treated me the same as if I was buying any pair of men's shoes.
So why did I decide today was the day? I'll write about that next time.
Hugs and Kisses
Stephanie
No comments:
Post a Comment